Pages

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Super Easy LadyBug Costume......

I was knee deep in Halloween costumes last week.
No, I'm not super prepared and early.
We went camping this past weekend and the campground has a huge Halloween celebration-trick or treating, costume contest, games, the whole works.
So, instead of being super prepared, I was last minute as usual.
Not my fault though, I'm totally laying this one on my kids, they were changing their minds everyday and couldn't decide.
My 5 year old, with a little help from mom, finally decided she wanted to dress up as a lady bug.
Cute as a bug! She looked adorable!

The costume was super easy too and mostly made with what I had around the house.....easy and cute and inexpensive.....even better!


The PolkaDot Chair has a cute pillowcase shirt tutorial that I've been wanting to try and thought it would be perfect for this project. I started with a red men's tshirt and pretty much followed the tutorial along with some shortcuts.


Since the the tshirt didn't have side seams I figured I'd save some time and work, I just cut the length of the shirt and left the sides and hem of the tshirt.....score one for quick and easy! I followed the tutorial to cut the armholes but because the tshirt is jersey, I didn't put any bias tape around the arm holes.......score two for quick and easy!

I turned over the top edge of the shirt 3/4 of an inch but didn't turn it 1/4 first....score 3 for easy! I threaded in my elastic-I ended up cutting the elastic 1/2 the measurement of the top edge-and sewed in my ribbon.


I then took a old pair of black jersey shorts and used a cream cheese container to trace circles. I sew about 7 on the front and 5 on the back.


Since it was a little chilly, we paired the shirt up with a long sleeve red shirt and black leggings.


She loved her "lady bug dress" and even wore it the next day!


Since this is getting a bit long, I'll share how I made the headband antenna and a trick I accidentally discovered while making the wings over the weekend.


Next week I'll share a quick, easy, inexpensive, fun costume for tweens/teens that can really express their personality!

I'm linking up to these parties

Weekend Bloggy Reading at Serenity Now, Friday Pity Party at 30 Days, Look at Me Party at Fun to Craft, I'm Loving It Fridays at Tidy Mom, Weekend Wrap Up Party at Tatertots and Jello


Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Michelle said...

That is so cute and looks very easy to do!

Amy said...

That is just so cute and a great idea.. Have a wonderful weekend.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

{Applauding!!!} Yay...what a cute cute costume. Great work. She looks adorable! Thanks so much for joining my party! :)

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

love your talent and creativity in sewing..
this is festive and happy post.

Anonymous said...

My daughter wants to be a ladybug for Halloween this year too! Looking forward to your advice on making the headband and tricks on wings.

Super super cute.

Anonymous said...

Super cute! I am going to be a ladybug this year and don't think I could pull off the pillowcase look but I love it on the little ones!! Come link up sometime to Handmade Tuesdays! It is a new linky I started with a tutorial :) www.ladybug-blessings.com

Amy said...

Yes, you will like that site full of food. Have a great week Dawn!

Anonymous said...

LOVE this idea! Im your newest follower! Follow me at http://craftycierra.blogspot.com/
If your interested in doing a swap with me, email me at cierralarsen@hotmail.com

Jaimee @ Havenwood House of Boys said...

What a cute ladybug! Love how you used simple materials. I'm including this in a mega Homemade Halloween Costume round up on my blog this week : )
Jaimee @ craft-interrupted.blogspot.com

Lempskies said...

Just made this in less than an hour for my daughter's school program where they are singing songs about bugs. I'm happy w/ how it turned out- Thank you!
For the antennae, I just used a red polka-dot ribbon to tie a headband w/ extra long ends that hang to each side on top.